Thursday, April 16, 2009

Genealogy - Where Do I Come From?

I would think that every American would want to know where their genealogy lies. Do you ever wonder who you're related to? Because America is a land of immigrants, everyone's roots lie somewhere else. Are you curious where your genealogy lies?

I encourage you make the decision to start looking into your families' past. Once you begin, you'll discover a world you never knew existed and find yourself on a fascinating journey. And, better yet, maybe you'll be able to travel to the land of your family's history and see everything you've learned for yourself.

I made that decision several years ago. I knew 2 of my great grandmothers, both of whom arrived at Ellis Island in the 1880's. I've always been inquisitive and interested in history, so I remember asking lots of questions. I learned that my genealogy was of Irish and French descent.

Fast forward 3 decades and now I'm interested again. So I spoke with my Grandmother about my genealogy. She just happened to have an old newspaper article she saved from her mother about new immigrants arriving in New York. This article was over 100 years old and happened to list my descendants, their age, who they were married to and where they came from. This was my best clue where to start.

The newspaper article was like a goldmine for me. I made the decision to travel to Europe tightly clutching a copy of the article. It was like having a map pulling me in the right direction. I started out in Dublin where I found myself at the Office of Genealogy. I found my family crest and coat of arms. I brought them home as a gift to my Grandmother. When she died she willed it back to me
From Dublin I drove down to south eastern Ireland. I finally found the tiny town of Cappaquin in the County of Cork. This is where the 100 year old newspaper article said I should be. I started asking people if they knew of anyone with my last name. To my surprise, I found several people I was directly related to.

The most interesting part was going to the graveyard and seeing the grave stones marked with names of people in my family history dating back several hundred years. I also went to the town Vicker where I found the city's book of births, deaths and marriages. Most European countries have some type of priest who keeps such books.

But, you can go even further. Genealogy is a hot topic today. Finding out where you really come from makes you feel more at peace with yourself. I don't know why but it just does. Unless you're an American Indian, you will have to look outside the United States to know your true genealogy.

Hi, my name is April. Hope you enjoyed the story of my roots search. It felt unreal to actually be standing where my ancestors once stood. I'll never forget those moments. If you would like more information on how to start your own search, please check out my webstie at http://www.savemoneysavetimenow.com/genealogy - Good luck on your own journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment