Monday, September 14, 2009

How to Shingle Your Roof

If you want to know how to shingle, you've come to the right place. But first... a Bear Story.

It was easy to see how "The Bear" got his nickname. He was a big burly guy, covered with thick brown hair. Back when I started roofing in Cape Coral, Florida, The Bear was well known as the fastest shingler in town. He didn't tear off or run metal... all he did was shingle. Typically he would shingle an entire house by himself in one day.

I wasn't very fast back then. Occasionally my boss wondered out loud why I couldn't learn how to shingle like The Bear. At that point I didn't know how he was so fast, but one day I found out...

My Boss had hired The Bear to shingle a house and asked me to stop by to deliver some supplies. I was pretty excited to see what I could learn.

As I pulled up to the job, I could hear him shingling on the back side of the house. His roofing nailer sounded like a machine gun. I climbed the ladder and quickly discovered The Bear's Secret:

He was installing the nails way above the nail line. The nails don't go through as many shingle layers up there, so they go in fast and you never have to stop and fix a shiner.

Back then, few people paid much attention to where the nails went. But then Hurricane Andrew tore up South Florida, with billions of dollars in damages. Lawsuits flew in the aftermath and a bunch of roofing inspectors lost their jobs.

Turns out that shingles aren't very wind resistant when they're nailed in the wrong place. After that, the entire state started to sweat the details.

That's also about the time I lost track of The Bear. Perhaps he had a hard time adjusting to doing things right. Old habits die hard, you know.

Occasionally, I still come across a speed demon like The Bear. They're lightning fast alright, but I have no use for them. Speed alone is not enough.

As you're learning how to shingle, focus on getting the details right... such as proper nail placement. Speed will come in due time.

Of course there's a lot more involved in learning how to shingle. To make the job easier and help you avoid big mistakes, go to: http://www.roofingsecrets.com

John C Bishop is the author of "Roofing Secrets: How to Avoid Leaks and Save Thousands of Dollars!"

Moisture Against Gravity Destroy

No comments:

Post a Comment